I got another one of these done on time! Oh my gosh, this might actually be turning into a thing. Honestly, I don't quite know what I should talk about now, so if you want to leave any ideas of what you'd like me to talk about in these posts I'll definitely keep at open mind for the future. As for this week I thought I would just talk about a couple things I did to make this work and a few of the problem areas I ran into.
First of all, it took me awhile to nail down a tempo that sounded somber enough for me, but without dragging down the entire song. I eventually settled on 94, and while I could have used more rubato in this I didn't because I'm still working with a click track. Down the road I might eventually start video taping myself conducting, but that's assuming I can learn to conduct better AND get all my pieces of tech reorganized.
When I first started recording the layer different parts for this, and layering them, I went in numeric order from horn 1-3. The annoying part with this though was that I really didn't like how it sounded playing second horn against only the first horn part. Also, the first horn part has a lot of the fifth the opening, and by the time I got to my third horn I was having to set my roots awkwardly low. To remedy this problem I changed up the order and started recording in the order 3, 1 , 2. This way you get more the roots on the first recording, I like the two part harmony of the first and third together, and then I was only left with slotting in the second part in between these two.
I could talk for a looong time about all the different things I had to do to get this to sound as good as it does, but I don't want to get long winded. So finally on the note of being "long winded", if you're working on this excerpt with a couple other people, work out the breathe spots! (Oh, you see what I did there?!) The first 10 or 15 takes that I did sounded horribly choppy because the voicing is thin and the phrases are long. It wasn't until the last couple takes that I finally figured exactly where I want to breathe in all three parts, and honestly most of the time it was just a matter of figuring out how to breathe less.
Anyway, if you're still reading, thanks and enjoy the video!
First of all, it took me awhile to nail down a tempo that sounded somber enough for me, but without dragging down the entire song. I eventually settled on 94, and while I could have used more rubato in this I didn't because I'm still working with a click track. Down the road I might eventually start video taping myself conducting, but that's assuming I can learn to conduct better AND get all my pieces of tech reorganized.
When I first started recording the layer different parts for this, and layering them, I went in numeric order from horn 1-3. The annoying part with this though was that I really didn't like how it sounded playing second horn against only the first horn part. Also, the first horn part has a lot of the fifth the opening, and by the time I got to my third horn I was having to set my roots awkwardly low. To remedy this problem I changed up the order and started recording in the order 3, 1 , 2. This way you get more the roots on the first recording, I like the two part harmony of the first and third together, and then I was only left with slotting in the second part in between these two.
I could talk for a looong time about all the different things I had to do to get this to sound as good as it does, but I don't want to get long winded. So finally on the note of being "long winded", if you're working on this excerpt with a couple other people, work out the breathe spots! (Oh, you see what I did there?!) The first 10 or 15 takes that I did sounded horribly choppy because the voicing is thin and the phrases are long. It wasn't until the last couple takes that I finally figured exactly where I want to breathe in all three parts, and honestly most of the time it was just a matter of figuring out how to breathe less.
Anyway, if you're still reading, thanks and enjoy the video!
No comments:
Post a Comment