The 8D is known for it's "Hollywood sound" and the delivers. Being made right before the move from Elkhart this horn is still a high quality horn. This back when horns were hand-made and the 8D was a viable option for any professional player in any major orchestra. Now these factory horns are made in mass numbers for students and have thicker metals and other precautions to make them sturdier, even though this takes away from the sound of the horn.
Disclaimer: One thing to understand about horns is that each one will greater differ from one to another. Generalizations can be made about a certain brand, but yet many things will still be different. A big part of what makes the Elkhart 8D's so popular is the consistency of the quality of the horns produced from that time. For the most part, if you get your hands on an Elkhart 8D that's in good condition then you've got a pretty solid chance of it being a quality horn.
Personally, I enjoy my horn and it was an amazing find (Click here for the story of how I got my horn). The large size of the horn works well for me because I have larger hands. After I add the hand-guard the levers are at just the right distance, and my right hands fits perfectly in the bell without any discomfort or contortion.
The sound is full throughout the entire range of the horn and the tone color is "pliable". By pliable I mean that the tone color of the horn can be easily match almost any horn. This is great if you're looking to play 2nd or 4th horn because then you'll be able to match many different players, without needing to change equipment for each new player.
A few of the negative aspects of the horn are that it is quite old and requires thorough care. My horn just turned 45 this year so the metal is starting to get pretty thin from different repairs throughout its history. I just got the rotors completely redone, but before that they were very worn. Now they play like new again, but they're bound to wear down faster than before now.
Besides the technical side of the horn, the intonation is overall very consistent. The one problem area of my horn that I watch out for is from the fourth-space Eb to the the F#. Originally I had problems with the G as well, but my "High G Trick" took away that problem. Another note that doesn't center quite well is the C above the treble staff; it's a few cents sharp. I don't know if these problems are consistent on all H-series, but until you get closer to custom horns there are probably going to be some intonation issues somewhere on the horn.
Now that I'm into college and living in a town dominated by Lewis I've been starting to look at moving to a different horn more in the realm of custom horns. This 8D is a quality horn that can do very well and should only go to a serious performer. If anyone is interesting in this then you can head over to the my Contact Page and send me an email privately discussing this further. The Conn 8D H-series a serious horn that stands out among 8D's and is a staple of American horn playing.
Disclaimer: One thing to understand about horns is that each one will greater differ from one to another. Generalizations can be made about a certain brand, but yet many things will still be different. A big part of what makes the Elkhart 8D's so popular is the consistency of the quality of the horns produced from that time. For the most part, if you get your hands on an Elkhart 8D that's in good condition then you've got a pretty solid chance of it being a quality horn.
Personally, I enjoy my horn and it was an amazing find (Click here for the story of how I got my horn). The large size of the horn works well for me because I have larger hands. After I add the hand-guard the levers are at just the right distance, and my right hands fits perfectly in the bell without any discomfort or contortion.
The sound is full throughout the entire range of the horn and the tone color is "pliable". By pliable I mean that the tone color of the horn can be easily match almost any horn. This is great if you're looking to play 2nd or 4th horn because then you'll be able to match many different players, without needing to change equipment for each new player.
A few of the negative aspects of the horn are that it is quite old and requires thorough care. My horn just turned 45 this year so the metal is starting to get pretty thin from different repairs throughout its history. I just got the rotors completely redone, but before that they were very worn. Now they play like new again, but they're bound to wear down faster than before now.
Besides the technical side of the horn, the intonation is overall very consistent. The one problem area of my horn that I watch out for is from the fourth-space Eb to the the F#. Originally I had problems with the G as well, but my "High G Trick" took away that problem. Another note that doesn't center quite well is the C above the treble staff; it's a few cents sharp. I don't know if these problems are consistent on all H-series, but until you get closer to custom horns there are probably going to be some intonation issues somewhere on the horn.
Now that I'm into college and living in a town dominated by Lewis I've been starting to look at moving to a different horn more in the realm of custom horns. This 8D is a quality horn that can do very well and should only go to a serious performer. If anyone is interesting in this then you can head over to the my Contact Page and send me an email privately discussing this further. The Conn 8D H-series a serious horn that stands out among 8D's and is a staple of American horn playing.
No comments:
Post a Comment