Friday, April 29, 2011

Mel Bay's Anthology of French Horn Music

  I would like to take Fridays to review books or music of interest. This week I'd like to take a look at the "Mel Bay's Anthology of French Horn Music" which is an amazing orchestral excerpt book for horn players.

  In addition to a wide variety of orchestral excerpts that range from Brandenburg to Mendelssohn, Richard Moore offers in-depth tips in text before the major excerpts. I've noticed this book is more targeted toward high horns though, so low horn players should rather look at Randy Gardner's book for quality orchestral excerpts that pertain to them. My only complaints about this book are that it doesn't contain some of the more modern ones like Richard Strauss, and to save space in the book most of the filler parts between major excerpts are cut. Overall this is a vital book that offers invaluable information to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment