Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Time in Drum Corps...



    Now, this may come as a bit of a surprise to some of you but I started marching drum corps much before I started playing the French horn. When I was about 11 I joined a small corps called the Colt Cadets in 2004. They had a bunch of younger kids who were just starting out. I began playing trumpet here and enjoyed myself for an five amazing years. I not only learned lessons about playing and marching, but about challenging myself and becoming the best I could be. In my mind, one of the ways to do this was to make it into the older corps, the Colts.
    In Colts it's mainly high school upperclassmen and college students. In 2009, my junior year in high school, I finally made it into the Colts, but not on trumpet, on mellophone, which is kinda like drum corps' version of a marching French horn. I've been able to be a part of this family for two years now, and in that time I've learned that I'm never done pushing myself and whenever I think I've given my all, there's always a little left. I really do attribute a good amount of my love of music to my experiences in drum corps. Now some, some of you may be still be wondering, "What is this drum corps thing exactly?" and I hope this standstill video of our 2010 brassline can help fill in a few holes for you.


     For more information on the Colts visit - www.colts.org

No comments:

Post a Comment