Friday, July 8, 2011

Free Metronomes

  Now I'm betting not many people own any of the tall, box style, metronomes, like the one in the picture. If you do, that's great! I think they look pretty cool and it'll give you're practicing space a more "classic" look. Now, I'm also curious how many musicians still actually going out and buying a metronome, with an increasing number of other ways arising.


  The first option out there for you is using a metronome through your computer. A website that I've found that is pretty good and easy to understand is Metronome Online, which gives all the basics, for free. An additional feature of this one is that it also has a pitch pipe for A440, in case you want to make sure your pitch isn't getting higher or lower as the day goes on. There are also plenty more sites you could try, simply Google "free metronome" and you'll be surprised how many different options you'll have.

  Next is the option of using an app on a "smart phone" or some kind of tablet. Personally, I always use my I-Touch as my metronome when I'm practicing. There are advanced metronome apps you can buy that will have tons of features, like all the different kinds of subdivision, but I still prefer the simple, free, ones. The app that I've been using for the past couple years has been iTick, has been discontinued... I'm sorry, I'm finding this out as I'm writing this post. I guess I haven't synced my I-Touch in awhile.
  Now I'm looking at all the countless apps in the App Store I think I'm liking the Metronome - reloaded. People do complain that there are small differences in actual tempo, but it can be finely calibrate to adjust that. A big plus I saw is that it is set up for mixed meters, which was even a problem with my last metronome.

  Right now I'm waiting for my 21 app updates, now that I've recharged my I-Touch and turned it on. Once I have a chance to play around with some of the features of this new app I'll write a follow-up of what I personally think of it from first hand use in the comments. Also if you've there's something out there like this that you've found, that works, I'd be very happy to hear about it.

1 comment:

  1. Now about that app...
    It has an interesting look, kind of like a new-age, old style, metronome. I couldn't test the tempos against standard tempo, but the review say it tends to drag by a couple clicks, but it can be calibrated in the time signature screen.
    Now a couple things that were hard to get a first, at least for me. To change the tempo you can either double tap the number at the top, or slide the weight up or down the stick. Touch the stick to start, and again to stop. Finally, to change the meter, you have to press the info button in the lower-right hand corner. The mixed meter capability is pretty good for breaking down the rhythms slowly, but it'll still only beat the eighth, or sixteenth, note and it only goes up to 209.

    ReplyDelete