You're in a concert and right at the beginning of the last piece disaster strikes... the string on your rotor snaps! You have a couple options now; either learn a whole new set of fingerings to avoid that rotor, or you can make a quick fix during the piece. The latter is usually more favorable, especially if you have a solo or other exposed material in the piece. Now, since you probably won't have a repairmen on stage with you...
How do you tie a rotor string?
--This process is a little hard to explain in words, and there are already great videos out there detailing it. Below are couple of the clearer and easier to understand videos describing how to string a rotor.
In conclusion, I'd like to add my two cents on what precautions I take in case this happen were to me in the middle of a concert. Instead of worrying about always carrying extra string to concerts with me I always leave the strings on my rotors extra long (about an addition 4-5 in.). That way, if a string snaps I can use the remains to restring it in a pinch.
With the issue of the screwdriver, you're best off simply trying to remember to bring one with you everywhere your horn goes. One substitute that might work in a dire circumstance is a dime, if the screw head is wide enough. On that note, I suggest to any ambitious people out there to see if it's possible to make a clip for a screwdriver in the same way that some have the pencil clips. I'm not too great at economics, but I'm pretty sure that's a million dollar idea just waiting to happen...

No comments:
Post a Comment