Saturday, October 1, 2011

What I Listen To - Horn Choirs

..."Horns Only" Past This Point...
  Since getting to DePaul I've being surrounded with a plethora of astounding horn players and that has really been getting me in the mood to start playing horn choir music. Unfortunately, we're almost at the midterm of the quarter and our concert season is about to begin which all means that everyone is about to get very busy. I'm hoping to get into some horn ensemble -anywhere from a quartet to a full choir- next quarter, but until then I'll just have satisfy myself with great recordings of horn ensembles. Here are some of my favorite horn ensembles on YouTube...



--This piece is off the group's first album and is made up of London's 32 finest horn players. This piece has a very "film-score" feel, which the LSO is very well known for. It's also my favorite song off their first album because it depicts all the colors and tones the horn can create, from subtle soloists to huge fff sections.

--I've brought Marc's name up in a previous article, but it never gets old listening to him. He's always putting out new, more insane recordings and arrangements with a pristine sound on his recordings. If you're interested in buying his arrangements or getting him to record something for you, all that info can be found on his website.


--This group of Vienna horns has gotten quite popular and while they have a couple more famous videos, with shots of them playing, I'm really into this recording. Hopefully this is a new discovery for some of you.


--Composed of members from the horn section of the Berliner Philharmoniker they are probably my favorite horn ensemble to listen to because their sound is so lively and their repertoire is quite diverse. That combination is enough to make me never get tired of listening to them. There are more videos from this performance on YouTube, but unfortunately it's not on DVD. If you wish to buy of recording done by this ensemble then check out their CD, Opera!

--I had to include a second song done by The London Horn Sound because their second CD was all jazz. They were out to show that horn can definitely be a jazz instrument. (John Graas would've appreciated this one) "Give it One" was a originally a Maynard chart, and it's one of many highlights from their second album.

--Above is an older group that has already gone through many changes and has made quite a name for themselves in the horn world. Many of my horn friends and teachers have pushed me to listen to as much of their work as I can find.

--I love the sound of this group and they're still new; which means we're bound to see plenty of great things from them. The reason I found this ensemble is because Radek Baborak, former member of the Berliner Philharmoniker, is the principal player here, but all the players there are extraordinary. 

--Genghis Barbie is a young, new quartet that I'm betting most of you have heard of. Click here more info on them and if you want to buy their new CD you can get it on ITunes or a hard copy with some merchandise on their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment