As I write this I’m heading on my way to DCI semifinals in Indianapolis. Last night I had a great time watching the top 15 corps in theaters. Unfortunately, the Colts were seated 16th so I just barely missed them, but they did manage to show a peak of the new closer. Good news is that today is the top 25 corps, which means I’ll have a chance to see them today.
You may be wondering how this is as a review, and I’m going to give a mini-review of my top five moments of quarterfinals and semifinals. Besides all the great corps that are there to play I’ll admit I’m also excited about the Festival Marketplace. You’re not going to want to miss the top four corps, as they’re neck and neck. So, I’m highlighting moments that you’ll want to make sure you don’t miss because you were down sifting through all the booths. And don’t worry, these are all spoiler-free.
Here are my top five moments to catch at Indy…
- Santa Clara Vanguard- Talk about an overall impressive show. If they could clean this show it’d have a shot at the title. Just like all SCV shows, if you love old school drum corps then you’ll really dig this.
- Bluecoats- The atmosphere that is set during the beginning of the show extremely intense. Their visuals are great and unique throughout the entire show. My only complaint about them is that I feel overwhelmed by the synthesizer at times and I wish they wouldn’t amplify the brass.
- Blue Knights- I’ll be the first to say that in the past I’ve never been much of a BK fan, but with a turn from the dark shows last year they showed progress. This year they were the first corps to put a huge grin on my face and keep it there the entire time. It’s a light-hearted show with folk tunes, opens with Holst’s First Military Suite, and has a Scottish-style drum break. What’s not to love!
- Madison Scouts- They were the first corps to really “light up” the stadium. All their work on trying to portray their emotion to the audience shows and you’ll be on your feet way before they’re done with the closer. Welcome back Scouts, it’s great to see you at this level again!
- Phantom Regiment- This is probably my favorite show to listen to. The brass sound can only be described as 100lbs of rich velvet. No other corps in the night gets quite a round sound like they do and no that reason it a must-see, or might I might I say “must-hear.”

No comments:
Post a Comment