Even though I didn't march drum corps this year -and my trip to finals wasn't filled with blood, sweat, and tears; it still managed to present it's own set of challenges. Now with any trip, you usually form, what seems to be, "the perfect plan." Then there's the actuality of what really happens. I hope you enjoy this short story, as it'll probably draw back memories of a similar time back in the day.
How it was supposed to go...
My mom and I had planned to leave in the morning, around 9 AM, and start the drive to Indianapolis. We planned that we would probably stop for a late breakfast and lunch to avoid paying the outrageous cost of food at the stadium. We'd get a hotel right on the outskirts of town and we planned to check in before heading to the stadium, so we could drop our luggage off and not worry about it getting stolen in the parking lots (heard they're not the most legit place). Finally, go to semifinals and get to watch a lot of great corps live. Especially since I haven't seen Colts since Music on the March, in June.
Now, what actually happened...
My mom and I leave on time and are doing great. Around 1 PM we start getting hungry for lunch, so we stop at a Culver's in Champagne, IL. I guess the amazing custard there is what gave us this epiphany... Won't you lose an hour once you go into Indiana? Turns out, yeah you do. So now we're are going only "slightly" above the speed limit to make it there on time. We pass our hotel but skip it because we're both thinking that we might miss the Colts.
Now we make it to the stadium, and remember what I said about the parking lots? Yeah, that turned out to be true too, so we hid our stuff in the trunk, praying that it wouldn't be stolen. Then hustled our way up to the gate, since we still needed to buy tickets. On the way we saw a glorious sight, the Colts pit still warming up. After that my mom and I slowed the pace down a bit, just so people would stop giving us such weird looks, and by the time we got inside it was only about 20 minutes until the Colts took the field.
All in all, it turned out to be a great trip. We got to see from Crossmen up to the Cadets, and even an international corps at the end. They had an intermission before the top eights corps and that gave me a chance to scope out the booths. The only one I found with a horn was Yamaha. So if you're a mellophone player looking for a quick-fix of horn, go straight there. Just be warned that you're bound to be competing with a bunch of trumpet players that are just out to see who can go higher-faster-louder.
After the show we got back to our car to find nothing was stolen. Although there were some kids walking around, acting gangster with their jeans tucked into their cowboy boots ...Oh, what'll you see next in Indiana. On the way back to the hotel we only got a little lost due to road construction but still got back with enough time to write a blog post and watch some "Whose Line is it Anyway." I haven't teared up laughing like that in a long time.
Now we're just relaxing at the hotel, getting excited for finals. I thought about going to the parade, but after seven years of drum corps, they just aren't my cup of tea anymore. Incase you're curious, this year I'm rooting for the Cavaliers to take the gold, and I'm pretty sure my mom is putting her money on the Cadets. Who do you think will get the ring this year?
Now we make it to the stadium, and remember what I said about the parking lots? Yeah, that turned out to be true too, so we hid our stuff in the trunk, praying that it wouldn't be stolen. Then hustled our way up to the gate, since we still needed to buy tickets. On the way we saw a glorious sight, the Colts pit still warming up. After that my mom and I slowed the pace down a bit, just so people would stop giving us such weird looks, and by the time we got inside it was only about 20 minutes until the Colts took the field.
All in all, it turned out to be a great trip. We got to see from Crossmen up to the Cadets, and even an international corps at the end. They had an intermission before the top eights corps and that gave me a chance to scope out the booths. The only one I found with a horn was Yamaha. So if you're a mellophone player looking for a quick-fix of horn, go straight there. Just be warned that you're bound to be competing with a bunch of trumpet players that are just out to see who can go higher-faster-louder.
After the show we got back to our car to find nothing was stolen. Although there were some kids walking around, acting gangster with their jeans tucked into their cowboy boots ...Oh, what'll you see next in Indiana. On the way back to the hotel we only got a little lost due to road construction but still got back with enough time to write a blog post and watch some "Whose Line is it Anyway." I haven't teared up laughing like that in a long time.
Now we're just relaxing at the hotel, getting excited for finals. I thought about going to the parade, but after seven years of drum corps, they just aren't my cup of tea anymore. Incase you're curious, this year I'm rooting for the Cavaliers to take the gold, and I'm pretty sure my mom is putting her money on the Cadets. Who do you think will get the ring this year?


No comments:
Post a Comment