I have an H-series Conn 8D that's still all original, down to the mechanical thumb trigger. Lately I've been thinking about getting a detachable bell conversation done to make it easier to travel with. Also my case is also original, which means it's on its last leg, and I don't want to buy another fixed bell case, and then have to resell it when I get a new horn that'll already have a detachable bell. So I started asking the question...
Asking this question to a bunch of horn players is like opening Pandora's box. Everyone has their own experiences that go from the extreme where a person that owned a Rauch said he had it done and then his horn sounded completely different (not bad, just different, he said.) Where other people will say that it'll make no difference at all.
In my situation I think I picked up a very good piece of advice. Since my horn is vintage and is usually pursued in its original form, it will probably be easier to resell the horn later without the conversation.
On the note of the case, my teacher uses a fixed bell case for her horn, even though it does have the detachable bell. She says that it cuts down on the amount of times she has to remove, and reattach the bell, which will help keep the threads from getting damaged.
If anyone has anything to add to any part of this I'd be more than glad to here your ideas or experiences. I'm honestly still not quite sure what I want to do because I want my horn to be marketable and play like an 8D, but I also want to be able travel more with a horn throughout my life.
Asking this question to a bunch of horn players is like opening Pandora's box. Everyone has their own experiences that go from the extreme where a person that owned a Rauch said he had it done and then his horn sounded completely different (not bad, just different, he said.) Where other people will say that it'll make no difference at all.In my situation I think I picked up a very good piece of advice. Since my horn is vintage and is usually pursued in its original form, it will probably be easier to resell the horn later without the conversation.
On the note of the case, my teacher uses a fixed bell case for her horn, even though it does have the detachable bell. She says that it cuts down on the amount of times she has to remove, and reattach the bell, which will help keep the threads from getting damaged.
If anyone has anything to add to any part of this I'd be more than glad to here your ideas or experiences. I'm honestly still not quite sure what I want to do because I want my horn to be marketable and play like an 8D, but I also want to be able travel more with a horn throughout my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment