Monday, June 6, 2011

Tip: Mouthpiece Placement for Beginners

    This is another tip from my private teacher, Wendy Hinman. There has always been controversy surrounding where people should place the mouthpiece on their face. We used to use the 2/3 & 1/3 idea from Farkas, but now people are starting to say that whatever works best is what you should use. I believe the latter is true, but for people just starting out on horn they should begin with a more "typical" embouchure, in the middle of the lips with good vertical orientation.

  Since I started on trumpet, and played that for so long, I had to change my embouchure a bit when I started horn. I very simple way I was taught where mouthpiece sits is this...


      1. Stick your tongue out
      2. Put your tongue in the mouthpiece
     3. Stick the tongue up












  Disclaimer: Now I understand that many of you who have played for awhile have found what works best, and this isn't aimed toward you. Also people with something drastically wrong with their mouth, that makes it improbable to use this, are an exception to this little trick. You should just keep experimenting until you find something that feels comfortable and gives a good sound with solid flexibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment