I feel like musicians should constantly be listening to all kinds of music. It's what we do, and we should learn to appreciate every area of music.
After a few days of rehearsal with Phantom of the Opera I've remembered my great love for the human voice.
Yes, brass, and especially horn, will probably always be my favorite sound. Coming in a close a second, though, are solo and chamber vocals. I don't know why, but mass choir doesn't hit me the same way, unless it's accompanied by an orchestra, as in Duel of Fates or Candide.
One of the finest vocal groups I've found is a Finnish A Capella group, Rajaton. They have many hits in their native language, which is gorgeous, but they also did an entire CD of Queen, and many other songs in English as well.
After a few days of rehearsal with Phantom of the Opera I've remembered my great love for the human voice.
Yes, brass, and especially horn, will probably always be my favorite sound. Coming in a close a second, though, are solo and chamber vocals. I don't know why, but mass choir doesn't hit me the same way, unless it's accompanied by an orchestra, as in Duel of Fates or Candide.
One of the finest vocal groups I've found is a Finnish A Capella group, Rajaton. They have many hits in their native language, which is gorgeous, but they also did an entire CD of Queen, and many other songs in English as well.
I'm putting a few recordings up to show that even though most of us won't be able to understand Finnish, this show conveys just as much emotion. Personally, I like foreign languages because I can find my own meaning behind the music.
Talk about having to put your message behind the song. Since this song has no words at all, I feel like I can connect with what they're doing. As a non-vocalist, I never get to use words to convey a certain meaning. At most, I'm able put emotion into my playing and portray a certain idea, and then it's up to the audience to discover their own message.
No comments:
Post a Comment